The latest edition of School Nursing: Scope and Standards of Practice is a must have for every school nurse. You can order yours from NASN Bookstore or the ANA Bookstore
The listing of competencies under each standard is an incomplete list. In addition, the listings below do not include any of the graduate level prepared school nurse, including the APRN.
Standards of School Nursing Practice 1- 6
- Assessment: The school nurse collects comprehensive data pertinent to the child’s health or situation.
- Diagnosis: The school nurse analyzes the assessment data to determine the diagnosis and issues.
- Outcomes Identification: The school nurse identifies expected outcomes for a plan individualized to the client or situation.
- Planning: The school nurse develops a plan that prescribes strategies and alternatives to attain expected outcomes.
- Implementation: The school nurse implements and documents the identified plan using evidence-based interventions and standard language or recognized terminology.
1. Coordination of Care
2. Health Teaching and Health Promotion
4. Prescriptive Authority and Treatment
- Evaluation: The school nurse evaluates progress towards attainment of outcomes.
Standards of Professional Performance 7: Ethics: The school nurse practices ethically.
- Integrates the Code of Ethics with Interpretive Statements (ANA, 2015) and the Code of Ethics for School Nurses (NASN 2016b) to guide nursing practice and articulate the moral foundation of school nursing.
- Advocates for student and family rights to informed decision-making and self-determination.
- Integrates principles of social justice into school nursing practice and policy. (Plus 14 more competencies)
Standards of Professional Performance 8: Culturally Congruent Practice: The school nurse practices in a manner that is congruent with cultural diversity and inclusion principles.
- Demonstrates respect, equity, and empathy in actions and interactions with all students, families, and the school community.
- Participates in lifelong learning to understand cultural preferences, worldview, choices, and decision-making processes of diverse school communities.
- Applies knowledge of variations in health beliefs, practices, and communication patterns in all nursing practice activities. (Plus 14 more competencies)
Standards of Professional Performance 9: Communication: The school nurse communicates effectively in a variety of formats in all areas of nursing practice.
- Demonstrates continuous improvement of communication skills.
- Conveys accurate information in appropriate formats for students and families.
- Uses communication as a strategy to achieve nursing outcomes.
- Contributes the nursing perspective in interactions with others and discussions with the interprofessional team. (Plus 11 more competencies)
Standards of Professional Performance 10: Collaboration: The school nurse collaborates with the healthcare consumer, the family and others in the conduct of nursing practice.
- Partners with the student, family, and key stakeholders to advocate for and effect change, leading to positive outcomes and quality care.
- Promotes engagement through consensus building and conflict management.
- Articulates clearly the school nurse’s role and responsibilities with the team. (Plus 11 more competencies)
Standards of Professional Performance 11: Leadership: The school nurse demonstrates leadership in the professional practice setting and the profession.
- Contributes to the evolution of the profession through participation in professional organizations.
- Retains accountability for delegated nursing care.
- Mentors colleagues in the acquisition of clinical knowledge, skills, abilities, and judgement. (Plus 9 more competencies)
Standards of Professional Performance 12: Education: The school nurse attains knowledge and competency that reflects current nursing practice.
- Participates in ongoing educational activities related to school nursing and interprofessional knowledge bases and professional topics.
- Shares educational findings, experiences and ideas with health and education colleagues.
- Maintains state and national certification and state credentialing when applicable. (Plus 12 more competencies)
Standards of Professional Performance 13: Evidence-Based Practice and Research: The school nurse integrates evidence and research findings into practice
- Uses current evidence-based knowledge, including research findings to promote further research and guide practice.
- Shares peer-reviewed research findings with colleagues to integrate knowledge into school nursing practice.
- Participates in data collection such as surveys, pilot projects, and formal studies. (Plus 9 more competencies)
Standards of Professional Performance 14: Quality of Practice: The school nurse contributes to quality of nursing practice.
- Ensures that nursing practice is safe, effective, efficient, equitable, timely, and patient centered (IOM 1999, 2001).
- Recommends strategies to improve school nursing quality
- Incorporates evidence into school nursing practice to improve outcomes. (Plus 10 more competencies)
Standards of Professional Performance 15: Professional Practice Evaluation: The school nurse evaluates one’s own nursing practice in relation to professional practice standards and guidelines, relevant statutes, rules and regulations.
- Adheres to the guidance about professional practice as specified in School Nursing: Scope and Standards of Practice, Code of Ethics for Nurses with Interpretive Statements, and NASN Code of Ethics for School Nurses.
- Ensures nursing practice is consistent with regulatory requirements, pertaining to licensure, relevant statutes, rules, and regulations. (Plus 7 more competencies)
Standards of Professional Performance 16: Resource Utilization: The school nurse utilizes appropriate resources to plan and provide nursing services that are safe, effective, and financially responsible.
- Assesses student care needs and resources available to achieve desired outcomes.
- Assists the student and family in identifying and securing appropriate services to address needs across the healthcare continuum.
- Documents all aspects of resource utilization, including delegation and staff training. (Plus 7 more competencies)
Standards of Professional Performance 17: Environmental Health: The school nurse practices in an environmentally safe and healthy manner.
- Promotes a safe and healthy workplace and professional practice environment.
- Advocates for safe, judicious, and appropriate use and disposal of products in healthcare. (Plus 9 more competencies)
Standards of Professional Performance 18: Program Management: The school nurse manages School Health Services.
- Conducts health needs assessments of the school environment to identify current health problems and identify the need for health services programming.
- Develops interagency partnerships that support student health and education goals.
- Coordinates creation and implementation of the emergency action and disaster preparedness plans.
- Interprets the role of the school nurse and school health service needs to the school and the community. (Plus 12 more competencies)
Based on ANA School Nursing: Scope and Standards of Practice, 3rd Edition 2017